I know, I know… Zucchini Crisp…. it sounds horrible
but there’s a secret to zucchini
The secret is to cook the zucchini slices in lemon juice & honey. The result is that it tastes like apple slices. So Zucchini Crisp really tastes like Apple Crisp
This recipe was eaten often in my house growing up because it was a way to use up the Big Zucchinis from the garden. But we loved it so much my mom would freeze sliced zucchini, in the right proportions for the recipe and make it year round. Rarely did a family gathering not include Zucchini Crisp.
TIPS for SUCCESS:
- Make sure to peel off all the green skin – no one wants to see Zucchini Green in their “Apple Crisp”
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise & scrape the seeds and spongy center with a large spoon
- Cut the zucchini halves into long strips – about the width of a typical apple slice. Then slice the strips into small slices. I like mine to be about 1/4″ thick. It’s amazing…. they really look like apple slices
- Taste the zucchini slices after you cook them in the lemon juice & honey – make sure they are sweetened & spiced to your liking. If not add a little more honey,nutmeg or cinnamon.
Knox Family Recipe
- 8 cups peeled, seeded, & sliced zucchini (cut like apple slices)
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- Place zucchini and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender, about 15 minutes. Add nutmeg, honey, and cinnamon; blend until well blended, about 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- For topping, combine brown sugar, flour, oats and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over zucchini. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Updated & More Healthy Version of Zucchini Crisp
- 4 cups zucchini, peeled, seeded, & sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup cold coconut oil or butter (or half of each)
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded coconut
- 1-2 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Heat oven to 375°F. In a bowl, mix together the sliced zucchini, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. Pour mixture into a greased baking dish or ramekins for individual portions.
For the topping, combine the light brown sugar, oats and flour into a bowl, then mix in the coconut oil until crumbly. Sprinkle the mixture over the zucchini slices. Bake for about 50 minutes, until the zucchini is tender and the top is golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: makes 6 servings