Try some of these great easy to make, home-made salad dressings. You may never want to use Ranch again!
Whisk 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil.
Variations of the Classic Vinaigrette
- Shallot White Wine- Make Classic Vinaigrette, replacing the red wine vinegar with white wine vinegar; add 1 minced shallot.
- Roasted Garlic- Slice the top off 1 head garlic; drizzle with olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil and roast at 400 degrees F until tender, 35 minutes. Cool, then squeeze out the cloves. Make Classic Vinaigrette in a blender, adding the roasted garlic and 3 tablespoons grated parmesan.
- Bistro Bacon- Make Classic Vinaigrette; add 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, 3 slices crumbled cooked bacon and 2 tablespoons chopped chives.
- Mediterranean- Make Classic Vinaigrette; mash in 1/2 cup crumbled feta, then whisk in 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1 diced plum tomato.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl whisk all ingredients to combine or put all ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Use immediately or keep, covered and chilled, up to one week. Makes 2/3 cup dressing.
This creamy, sweet dressing with a hint of citrus pairs nicely with a spinach and strawberry salad. For 4 servings, toss 1/3 cup (75 mL) dressing with about 8 cups (2 L) greens.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain Balkan-style yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
- 4 tsp (18 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) poppy seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sweet paprika
- Pinch salt
In small bowl, whisk together yogurt, honey, lemon juice, poppy seeds, mustard, paprika and salt until smooth. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 5 days.)
Blend 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar, 1 chopped shallot or small onion, 1 teaspoon each honey and dijon mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a blender. Gradually blend in 1/3 cup olive oil; add 1/2 cup raspberries and pulse or whisk to combine.
Puree 2 cups cubed seeded watermelon, 3 tablespoons sherry or cider vinegar, 1/3 cup each olive oil and vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste in a blender. Add 1/2 cup torn mint; pulse or whisk to combine.
Whisk 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger, 3 tablespoons sesame oil, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste.
Blend 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, 3 tablespoons water, the juice of 1 lime, 1 tablespoon each rice vinegar and chopped peeled ginger, and 2 teaspoons each soy sauce and honey in a blender.
Blend 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons grated parmesan, 1 tablespoon each olive oil and water, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 garlic clove and 4 anchovies or 1T anchovy paste in a blender.
Blend 1/2 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream and fresh parsley, the juice of 1/2 lemon, 2 chopped scallions, 3 tablespoons chopped tarragon and 3 anchovies or 3/4 T anchovy paste in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Whisk 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil.