These delicious quesadillas are a simple and fast way to use herbs.
The quesadillas pictured are filled with a mixture of chopped mint and oregano, but feel free to play around and use whatever herbs you have in the fridge! Pair them with a simple salad of greens dressed with oil and vinegar for a light dinner.
Fresh Herb Quesadillas
The proportions for the herbs, onions, and cheese are approximate. Feel free to adjust according to your own preferences.
(makes 4 quesadillas)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (your choice of mint, oregano, basil, tarragon, thyme, chives, parsely, cilantro, etc.)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onions or green onions
- oil for greasing a skillet
Prepare quesadillas – I like to do it assembly line style. Lay out four tortillas. Top each with equal amounts of cheese, then onions, then herbs. Place another tortilla on top of each.
Heat a skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium high heat. Add oil to lightly coat the surface – you just need enough to prevent the quesadillas from sticking. If you have a well-seasoned cast iron, you won’t need much oil at all.
Carefully transfer uncooked tortilla to heated skillet using a large spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes until underside is lightly golden,then flip the quesadilla. Cook for a few minutes more until bottom is golden and insides are cooked through. You’ll know it’s ready when melted cheese starts to hiss as it spills over the edges of the tortilla and hits the hot skillet.
Repeat the same process with remaining quesadillas, adding more oil to the pan if needed. Serve immediately.
Suggestions: Serve topped with your favorite salsa, hot sauce, or sour cream.
- Cheese: experiment with different cheeses. We like to use Feta, Cheddar, Blue Cheese, Harvarti, Cheve, or whatever your favorite cheese.
- Veggies: add a few chopped tomatoes, shredded greens (spinach, kale, chard), shredded zucchini, chopped bell peppers.
- Meats: thinly sliced cooked sausages or finely chopped chicken