- 4 cups orca beans, cooked
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced into half moons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup brussel sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard or kale, washed well and cut into thin ribbons
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, or butter
- Pinch of cayenne powder
In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the red onion, carrots, and garlic with ½ teaspoon salt, and sauté for 4 minutes. Then add the brussel sprouts, chard, and red bell pepper. Turn heat down to medium, and sauté for 6 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the maple syrup, mustard, salt, olive oil or butter, and cayenne powder. Whisk to combine and heat gently until melted. Set pan on low to stay warm. In the pan with the vegetables, add the cooked orca beans, and toss until beans are heated through. Add the maple-mustard dressing, and toss to combine. Taste for salt, and add fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Serve immediately, or reheat later before serving.
This is delicious with bacon crumbled on top, or add smoky Andouille sausage for a main meal. Great when served with fresh crusty bread.
Recipe by Chef Heather Hartman