This week I’m loving all the beets.
While in California a couple weeks ago, I enjoyed a delicious Roasted Beet Quinoa Salad at Mendincino Farm Sandwiches. So I came home and researched recipes until I found one that matches.
I was really hopeful that my dear hubby, who normally doesn’t like beets, would like this salad.
And the hubby verdict……
It’s a keeper – He loved it!!
This recipe is great for substituting for what you have on hand. I used quinoa as the base, added some roasted beets which gave the whole dish a vibrant pink color, a simple dressing, cheese, fresh greens & herbs – and you have a delicious, fresh side dish or lunch. Use this recipe as a guide to make your own cleaning-out-the-pantry creation.
ROASTED BEET QUINOA SALAD
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (could use brown rice, couscous, or other grain of your choice)
- 2 – 3 red beets peeled (greens removed)
- 2 T olive or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup lemon, orange, or lime juice
- 2 tsp soy sauce or Bragg’s Amino Acids
- 1-2 tsp balsamic, apple cider, or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (I subbed finely chopped garlic scapes)
- 1 T raw honey or maple syrup
- 3-4 handfuls of Greens sliced thin (spinach, arugula, kale, mustard, sorrel, or cabbage)
- 1/2 cup crumbly cheese (feta, blue, small cubes of white cheddar) – optional
- 1/2 c chopped nuts – optional
- 1/2 c thinly sliced tart apples – optional
- salt and pepper to taste (or your favorite herb blend)
Roast the Beets —
Oven Method: Preheat oven to 375. Place whole beets on aluminum foil. Drizzle with the 2 T coconut or olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt or your favorite herb blend. Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes.
Grill Method: (To save heating up the house) Heat Grill on High. Prepare in Foil as above, but do a double layer of foil. Throw it on the grill and come back 30-40 minutes later and they will be done.
Salad Prep —
While the beets are roasting, you can cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. If you buy your quinoa in bulk, cook it 2 parts water per 1 part quinoa. Bring water to boil, add quinoa & turn down to low. It only takes about 15 minutes. Once the beets are done roasting, let them cool. Once cooled chop the beets into small pieces. Combine the beets and quinoa in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine: olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic and honey. Whisk into a dressing. Pour over the beets and quinoa. Fold in the greens, cheese, nuts, &/or apples.
Now salt to taste and that’s it. Enjoy!